Skip to main content
Children In Care

We want to support you with your education to help you achieve your hopes and wishes for the future.

Will I go to the same school?

If it is possible (and if it’s the right thing for you), then you’ll stay at the same school while you’re living in foster care or residential care. If it’s best for you to change school then your Social Worker and your carer will sort that out with you and make sure you have what you need to settle in at your new school.

Who can I talk to if I’m struggling at school?

If you have any problems in school, your social worker, carers or keyworker, will help sort these out with you and your teachers. Every school has someone who has special responsibility for helping children to settle in at their new school and making sure they are doing well; these are called ‘Pastoral Support’ staff. You will also have a Personal
Education Plan which includes what support you need to help you with your education and makes sure you feel happy in school.

Whatever you want to do in the future, it pays to keep on learning. Qualifications give you a greater chance of doing what you want to do in life and are proof that you have the type of knowledge and skills that employers are looking for. By taking your learning to the highest level possible, you can build on your strengths, make the most of your skills and have every chance to achieve your dreams. So give learning your best shot!

Your school will have a designated teacher who is responsible for making sure children in care are given all the information, advice and support they need to do well in school. Your teacher will monitor how well you are doing in school and will arrange extra help and support if you need it.

Your teacher may do some of the following:

  • they will make sure that you have a Personal Education Plan (PEP)
  • they will have regular contact with your social worker and your carer and to make sure they are offering as much support for your education as possible
  • they will keep up to date information about how well you are doing in school and in your education and get you help if you need it
  • they will arrange and offer support if you have any issues which are affecting your education

What is a Personal Education Plan?

All young people in care who are of the age to attend school have something called a Personal Education Plan (or PEP). This plan tries to make sure you are doing well in your education and you are happy with how you are getting on at school, college or in other types of education.

So how does it work?

Within 20 days of you entering care you will have a Personal Education Plan. Your social worker will work with the designated teacher at your school or college to arrange a meeting to discuss your plan.

  1. The teacher at your school or college will meet with you to discuss why you are having the meeting and make sure you feel able to have your say.
  2. Before the meeting your teacher will collect information about you such as your attendance record, exam results and may ask other teachers about how you are doing.
  3. Everyone who attends your meeting will discuss your plan and make sure it meets all your needs.
  4. Together you will make sure your plan is complete and everyone understands what the plan says.
  5. You will also set the time and date for your next plan Personal Education Plan meeting.

The Virtual School for Looked After Children

The responsibility for your education and your educational success, lies with the school you attend and your teachers and Head Teacher. However there is also a virtual school that is able to keep an overview of all our Looked After Children’s education. The Virtual School makes sure that your education is high up on the priority list for schools and the council.

Virtual schools will build the links between social workers and your teachers to make sure you are getting the education that suits your needs and help you achieve your dreams for the future.